Do I need liability insurance?

As a taxi driver you will be encountering members of the public in your day to day duties. This means that public liability insurance is a requirement. If you were to have an accident involving a member of the public then they are likely to claim against you or your company. Public liability insurance protects you in this instance and will pay for legal and medical costs that come with a claim.

If you own a taxi company with employees who drive your vehicles, then you will also need employers’ liability insurance. The law requires that you have at least £5 million worth of employers’ liability insurance because if an employee were to have an accident at work or develop an illness because of working conditions then this can lead to expensive claims against your business.

You may need both types of insurance and you can buy these as a package deal with combined taxi insurance or you can buy the products separately if you only need one of the above.